Monday, 17 October 2016

5 Book Recommendations

Getting into a good book and loving it so much that it feels like you are escaping to a whole new life is a wonderful feeling. I was never much of a reader as a child because I found it so hard. I was a slow reader and writer which meant that I just did not enjoy it. It wasn't until my teens, around 15 years old that I really started reading. I loved it. I read Paper Towns by John Green, which was easy enough yet still exciting and I loved it. That really made me see how happy reading could make me - especially with the stress of GCSE's and A-Levels. 



These are my top 5 book recommendations, books that I am always telling my friends and family to read. They are all really easy to read so why not give them a go!

1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Mini Review
This was my favourite book for so long, I just couldn't stop thinking about it. It is about two teenagers who have to sit next to each other on the bus to school. They don't like each other at first but after a while start to realise that they actually have things in common. If you like high school romance stories then this is definitely for you. 

Favourite Quote
"Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."


2. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Mini Review
So, although at points this book felt like the story was a bit childish, I actually enjoyed it SO much. The idea behind it is that Elsewhere is the place you go when you die, but instead of spending the whole of eternity there, you live life backwards from the age that you died. For example, if you died at 60, you would spend 60 years in Elsewhere, getting younger every day until you are a newborn baby again where you are sent back to earth to live a whole new life. For a story that deals with death and afterlife, it is really light hearted and very easy to read. I loved imagining what I would do if I went to Elsewhere. 

Favourite Quote
"People, you'll find, aren't usually all good or bad. Sometimes they're just a little bit good and a whole lot bad. And sometimes they're mostly good with a dash of bad. And most of us, well, we fall in the middle somewhere."


3. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Mini Review
This is the story of a girl who has a rare disease which means that she is allergic to the whole outside world. The only people she ever has any contact with are her mother and her nurse. It is a fun story and even though I found the ending a bit predictable, I still enjoyed it a lot and rated it 5 stars on goodreads. This book has also been featured in the Zoella book club - so look out for it in WHSmiths!

Favourite Quote
"Spoiler alert: Love is worth everything. Everything."


4. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Mini Review
This is one of the first Fantasy books I have read and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The book follows the lives of 'Shadowhunters' who focus their lives on killing demons and a cute romance story between Clary and Jace, two of the main characters. I got so into this story line that I went straight on to read the rest of the books. I enjoyed all of them but the last one I am really struggling to get through, It is so much slower and seems unnecessarily stretched out. But from reading the reviews, I think that it spreads up towards the end and the ending makes up for the start. I hope so! 

Favourite Quote
"Where there is love, there is often also hate. They can exist side by side."


5. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Mini Review
With Halloween on its way, I thought that this book would be perfect. It is a graphic novel with five short stories. They are creepy and the artwork is gorgeous. If you are a fan of spooky / horror graphic novels this is an ideal example. 


Let me know if you have ever read any of these books and I would also love some more recommendations to read over the colder months.

Kate x


4 comments:

  1. I really loved reading the City of Bones stories a few years ago. I was left really underwhelmed by Eleanor and Park though :/

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! It's so interesting how different people enjoy different books - I think it also depends on when you read it etc. I found it to be such a page turner - could not put it down!! xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these! I have had Eleanor & Park on my list for quite awhile, but I never really had the chance to pick it up. Maybe when I finish my current book ;) The graphic novel sounds really interesting! I've never read a graphic novel before!

    It's a bit heart-wrenching, but The Light Between Oceans is AMAZING! Haha, it's so good and I can't recommend it enough :)

    Erin | Explore, Refresh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should give it a go. I really could not put it down, I enjoyed it so much. Through the woods is ideal for Halloween - you should pick it up if you can! Thanks for the recommendation. I will have a look into it - maybe get it on my kindle app!! xx

      Delete

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS