Monday, 30 June 2014

June Book Haul

This June I discovered the youtube channel 'booksandquills' which is owned by a lovely girl called Sanne from the Netherlands. Her videos instantly made me want to grab a thousand books and read them all at once. She makes videos basically just recommending and reviewing books, and she makes every single book sound amazing!

So, thanks to booksandquills, I soon found myself spending lots and lots of pennies on books.

top to bottom : we were liars by e. lockhart, the virgin suicides by jeffery eugenides, romeo & juliet by shakespeare, the fault in our stars by john green and orange is the new black by piper kerman

So, firstly, we were liars by e. lockhart. I've heard good things about this book without really hearing anything. Does that make sense? I think it's about an island or something. Aparently it's best to go into this book knowing as little as possible, so that's what I'm doing! 

Next, the virgin suicides by jeffery eugenides. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I can't give a massive review of this book and I am probably being incredibly unfair as I haven't read the whole thing. I just couldn't get into it and I couldn't enjoy it at all. I was excited when I first purchased it as 1. I loved the cover (Basic mistake. Don't judge a book by its cover.) and, 2. It's pretty graphic. Like, ok, virgin suicides. It's obviously going to include some suicides. But is the talk about used tampons really necessary?! Ew. I do not advise this book if you don't do well with graphic, gross stuff.

Romeo and Juliet. Just a classic really. I felt as though I needed it for my growing book collection and I also thought it'd come in handy to have around the house when my sister studies it in school.

THE FREAKIN FAULT IN OUR STARS. JOHN FREAKIN GREEN. I feel like I am the last person left on earth to read this book, but with it coming out as a film I decided that it was time. I have been putting off reading it for a while purely because I don't want to cry. Sometimes you just gotta cry though, right? Man up Kate. I also just finished John Green's Paper Towns and liked it a lot. (Full review may be coming soon).

Aaaand finally. Orange is the new black. Me and my boyfriend recently watched both series of this on netflix and got hooked. It's brilliant and actually makes you feel like maybe you could survive in jail. After watching an episode you'll walk downstairs like "Yeah, I'm a boss." It's great. I don't really know a lot about the book and wanted to see how similar the two are. I also wondered if the book continues after season two as that'd be fun.

Again, continues the issue of buying too many books to read. I recently also joined goodreads (katelouisex) if you're interested to see what I'm reading, what I've read and what I'm planning to read. Woop!

Kate x

No comments :

Post a Comment